Grote Gracht 90-92
Since 2003, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences has occupied the ‘Hof van Tilly’, an urban palace (in the style of a French hotel) built by military governor Claude ‘t-Serclaes, the count of Tilly, in 1714. The Hof van Tilly has served various purposes over the centuries: as a national primary school, a national teacher training college – for which many parts of the building were demolished and two new wings and, for the time, a very modern gymnastics hall were built – and a municipal primary education teacher- training college. The university purchased the building in 1998. In the most recent renovation, the aim was to restore a sense of order to the complex by means of emphasising the central axis. One way in which this was achieved was by restoring the original entrance door in the central structure. The roof was lifted during the renovation in order to add a storey to the left wing. The fountain has been restored and the gymnastics hall – the oldest in the Netherlands – has been converted into a multifunctional space.
There is a reception desk in the building. The receptionists receive all visitors and are available to assist UM staff and students.
‘Bandito Espresso City Center’, which is located in the building at Grote Gracht 86a-b, can be reached via the building. This coffee bar offers delicious coffee and tea specialities and other refreshments.