Since 1998, the Faculty of Law has been housed in the ‘Het Oud Gouvernement’ building, a former provincial government building designed by chief government architect G.C. Bremer in 1930. This nationally listed building features a 46.5 metre tall tower that serves to indicate the fact that an important government building stood at the site.
In the renovation work, UM maintained as much respect as possible for the building as an expression of the time and style in which it was built. This renovation included the construction of the covered bicycle parking for employees and the conversion of the former banquet hall into a practice courtroom. The building was also one of the first to use energy-efficient LED lighting for its circulation areas.
In the hall of the building, there is a reception desk, as well as a statue of Lady Justice by sculptor Charles Vos that originally stood in an alcove on the façade of the former courthouse.
Food and drinks are available at the Albron coffee corner or in the adjacent courtyard.